Antique Art Nouveau Guilloche Enamel 800 Silver Flower Violet Pendant
Excellent. Fresh looking, soft signs of wear are noticeable only on close inspection.
* Silver setting has a bright patina with minor surface wear.
* Vermeil finish is golden and consistent with minor amount of thinning.
* No dents or imperfections to the shape or signs of repair.
* Enameling is dense and vibrant with one small chip on the flower bud.
* Bale is secure and original.
Era 1900 - 1910s
Length 1 1/2" (including bale and excluding bale loop)
Width 1 1/4"
Mark See photo
Weight 9 grams
Material 800 silver
Made by hand or in small groups of similar styles, vintage jewelry is individualistic with its own unique history.
* Quintessential Art Nouveau design with a lovely floral and bud motif, love how the flower bud breaks through the border.
* Unique color palette to the enameling in very Spring shades of green and purple.
* Eye-catching silhouette is thin and lays flush when worn yet still has a solid, quality feel in your hand.
On Enameling. There are several different styles of enameling: guilloche (colored, transparent enamel over a metal surface with geometric grooves), champlevé (enamel fills etchings or depressions in a metal surface), plique a jour (translucent enamel fitted into open-back metal cells) and more. What makes antique or vintage enamel pieces collectible is the condition of the enamel work-is it distinct and vibrant? Is it free from chips? Other characteristics like an elaborate pattern, unique depiction, or the use of multiple colors can add more value to an enamel pieces.
On the Art Nouveau Movement. Design motifs of the Art Nouveau movement from the early 20th century are all about stylized, curving and flowing lines found in nature. Though occurring at a similar time as the Arts and Crafts movement and sharing some design sensibilities, the Art Nouveau was far more whimsical and lighthearted. Popular figural motifs included fairies, flowers, and the "Art Nouveau lady" (a highly feminine woman generally depicted with flowing and flowered hair).