Arts & Crafts Jugendstil Sterling Silver Carnelian Sautoir Pendant Necklace
Excellent condition. Fresh looking, soft wear is noticeable only on close inspection.
* Silver setting has a bright patina with minor surface wear.
* No dents or imperfections to the shape or signs of repair.
* Carnelian stones are gleaming with no chips or surface wear.
* No clasp, necklace slips over your head
Length 30", with pendant dropping 2" below
Mark See photo
Weight 32 grams
Material Sterling silver, natural carnelian
Made by hand or in small groups of similar styles, vintage jewelry is individualistic with its own special history.
* Elongated silhouette has a Flapper look with a seamless design that extends along the chain.
* Richly colored carnelian stones have a high sheen that shifts slightly in hue from stone to stone.
* Drops at the bottom dangle freely for playful movement and sway when worn.
* Excellent condition showcases the design detail and quality of construction.
On Movement In Jewelry. Movement in jewelry is an indicator of a higher end piece, as it demonstrates that the designer considered how the jewelry would look and feel when it was actually worn. For example, high-end pieces often adjust to different necklines or wrists for comfort and a seamless look. Other times, movement is strategically incorporated for gemstones to catch the light or to enhance the sparkle of a certain gemstone cut.
On Jugendstil. Jugendstil is the German and Austrian counterpart to the more international Art Nouveau movement. For that reason, the designs have similar characteristics as the art nouveau style - with some key differences. Most notably, Jugendstil tends to be more abstract than purely naturalistic. It included jewelry but also included all other art forms, like the visual arts and architecture.