Victorian 800 Silver Vermeil Etched Double Sided Locket
Condition Guide Excellent. This piece is fresh looking, it must have been tucked away and well taken care of, the softs signs of wear are noticeable only on close inspection.
* The setting has a bright patina with no surface wear and no dents or misshapen spots.
* There is some irregularity to the finish on the inside of the locket.
* There are two original photo frames in place and no glass or plastic inserts.
* The locket shuts with a secure snap.
* There are no irregularities to the setting or signs of solder or repair and the piece has a firm shape.
Length 2 1/8" including bale
Width 1 1/4"
Mark No mark
Clasp Secure, and snaps shut, bale is original
Weight 11 grams
Material Tests for 800 silver
Collector Note On Excellent Condition. Antique and vintage pieces have been passed through generations, so it's not often you find a piece that has been maintained in its near-original condition. Such pieces are not only higher in value, but they are also more collectible, as they carry the history of past owners but do not show it. They reveal what the piece would have looked like when it was first created, giving us an insight into a bygone era.
On Handmade or Hand-Carved Jewelry. Handmade or hand-carved jewelry is valued because it is, by default, one of a kind. Unlike machine-made pieces, a handmade piece can never be replicated in the exact same way, and so they will always reveal the at-the-moment intent of the individual maker. Often, the pieces have a distinctively visceral feel, as though you can sense the painstaking labor that went into every aspect.