Victorian Edwardian Sterling Silver Seed Pearl Horseshoe Brooch Pin
Excellent Condition. Fresh looking, soft wear is noticeable only on close inspection.
* Silver setting has a bright patina with minor surface wear.
* Vermeil finish has some thinning and wear.
* No dents or imperfections to the shape or signs of repair.
* Seed pearls are all in place and look original.
* Clasp is secure and original.
Era Late Victorian / Edwardian
Mark See photo
Weight 2 grams
Material Sterling silver, natural seed pearls
Made by hand or in small groups of similar styles, vintage jewelry is individualistic with its own special history.
* Classical silhouette of horseshoe design a popular symbol for good luck during Victorian era.
* Subtle gleam of inset natural seed pearls is a delicate flourish.
* Quite thin and feather-light in your hand, this brooch will lay flush along your lapel.
On Symbolism In Jewelry. Symbolism in antique and vintage jewelry is common, yet it can be hard to spot if you don't know what you're looking for. Often, specific natural gemstones, flowers, birds, and motifs like stars and anchors were imbued with meanings that have fallen out of present-day society's collective memory. To appreciate the power of symbols in antique jewelry is to imagine what it would have been like to wear the piece and step back into history.
On Figurals. Figural jewelry includes any piece that has been shaped into an animal, person, object, or detailed "day in the life" scene. Antique and vintage figural jewelry is often quite charming and collectible for the realistic or cutesy details. Specific objects or animals became popular and prolific in jewelry during certain time, Scotty dogs during the 1940's for example, or swallow birds during the Victorian era. Figural jewelry is special for its detail and realism but also tells the story of the decade they were made in.