Victorian Faceted Almandine Garnet 800 Silver Vermeil Flower Brooch Pin
Excellent condition. Fresh looking, soft wear is noticeable only on close inspection.
* Silver setting has a bright patina with minor surface wear.
* Vermeil finish is bright and golden with little wear or thinning.
* No dents or imperfections to the shape or signs of repair.
* Garnets are smooth and gleaming with a few tiny chips, minor surface wear and faceting is crisp and refractive.
* Garnets are all in place and look original.
* Clasp is secure and original.
Diameter 1 1/4" (each garnet bead is 9mm at widest point)
Mark No mark
Weight 21 grams
Material Tests for 800 silver, natural garnets
Made by hand or in small groups of similar styles, vintage jewelry is individualistic with its own special history.
* Dark and glittering, when you use a light loupe you can see the rich deep red of the garnets.
* Pleasantly plump and chunky in your hand, this brooch has a uniquely shimmering and charming floral design.
On Unique Shapes. Gemstones are time consuming to cut, requiring a high degree of skill from a trained craftsman, and glass cabochons can be equally complicated to manufacture on a large scale while keeping costs down. These constraints are only a few of the reasons you often see similar shapes of stones used in jewelry. When an unusual shape or cut is used, the manufacturer has made a decision to make something different. Look for out-of-the-ordinary shapes, like the demilune for example, for a striking look as well as a unique find.
On Sparkle. Catching and reflecting light is a key element of jewelry design and has determined the way gemstones are cut for centuries. For example, the bezel-set brilliant cut was developed to enhance and maximize the light-reflecting qualities of all gemstones, like diamonds in the sun. During the Georgian era, on the other hand, the rose cut diamond became popular as it sparkled beautifully in candlelight. Facets, special raised prong and open back settings, and movement all serve to promote play with light and make for stunning pieces.